A Message to BWM Customers About the Coronavirus, from President Joe Zago
Basement Waterproofing of Michigan
Michigan's Leading
Basement Contractor
Learn more
Free Estimates!
Click or Call Now

Mold And Mildew: Common Basement Pests

It is common for basements to develop issues with mold and mildew. They can be quite the annoyance to the people who live in the affected home. So how can you prevent any entrance to your home? What can you do to get rid of them if they are already present? Let's take a look.

Mold And Mildew: What Are They?

Mold and mildew are two different types of fungus which are basic microscopic organisms that can thrive in any moist environment. Molds do have some importance in nature. They break down dead organic matter and help generate our environment by breaking down leaves and other organic material. This is wonderful for the outdoor world, but not the indoor. Mold can vary in color such as brown, black, white, or green. As it begins to build up, it can get thick and fuzzy and can make the interior of a home look just plain nasty.

Mold grows in colonies and starts to form on damp surfaces around the 24-48 hour mark. It produces mold spores that become airborne that land on surfaces close to the original source. This is a nuisance because after it spreads, you are left to deal with the cleaning. Plus there are health problems that can arise as well.

Mildew is basically mold in the early stages of growth. Mildew can be found on many different organic materials everywhere. It typically is black, brown, yellow, or white, but it can sometimes be orange or pink and can look dusty and flat.

Mildew does not come with as many health issues and it grows more predictably, making it a little easier to deal with. The pink and yellow mildew you usually see on your sink tops is harmless, but it is ugly and should be removed.

Schedule a FREE Estimate

Fields with (*) are required.

Keep Out The Mold And Mildew

Mold can grow on any wet surface in the household, even the sponge you leave on the sink after washing dishes. You may also start noticing it in the grout between your tiles in the shower and bathroom. Most of the time, you will not be able to see it with your own eyes, but you definitely notice the stench it leaves. If your surfaces start to smell a little earthy or outdoorsy, that is a sign of mold growth.

The growth of mold can lead to some pretty nasty health issues that include:

  • Runny nose
  • Sneezing
  • Red eyes
  • Rashes
  • Asthma attacks

People that have compromised immune systems will find it even harder to fight off the health problems associated with mold. Mold can sometimes even be toxic depending on the length of the growth. Knowing this, if you have any mold building up from a flood or lack of ventilation, it has to be treated as soon as possible.

Mold growth can create some financial issues as well. Allowing mold to grow for a long period of time can ruin household surfaces, clothes, wall material, and showers and bathrooms. This can cause quite the hefty price in repairs, something that you want to avoid all together.

Unlike mold, mildew can simply be removed by a cleaner. It is not too difficult to prevent it and if it does show up, managing it promptly will take care of it.

Mold And Mildew Removal

If you happen to have a mold issue in your home currently, you do not have to panic. Just call in a professional company to come out and have a look at it. They can get it handled correctly and swiftly. Unlike mildew, large scale mold removal is not a do it yourself job. Professionals use top of the line products to locate the source of the problem and remove the entirety of the issue. Having a professional mold removal process done on your home is the best way to eradicate the situation.

If you have a mildew issue, mildew removal is an easy process that can be done by a nice cleaner. Bleach is a great way to remove and treat a mildew problem. You can also use vinegar to clean it if you are not a fan of bleach. After you apply the cleaner, hit the spot with a scrub brush, then rinse and dry and you are good to go. These are known to be some of the easiest options for removing mildew.

There are chemicals that you can use to prevent and control mold, but mold removal must be done by a company to remove the entire problem. You will be able to control mildew, but there really is not a sure fire way to keep it away for good. It will find it's way back.